Thanks to a Facebook friend for sharing this recipe!!
Tomato topping for Pasta
- Enough fresh tomatoes to fill a large baking sheet (cut in about 1 inch cubes
- 2 large sweet onions chopped
- 2t. minced garlic
- 1/2c. chopped basil
- 1/2c. olive oil
- 1/2c. balsamic vinegar
- 1/4t. red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
How to make it
- Mix all ingredients well in a largre bowl
- Spray large baking pan with cooking spray
- Pour all ingredients into baking sheet
- Roast at 325 for about 3 hours or until all juices are reduced to a thicken consistency and veggies are begining to carmelize.
- Pour over cooked pasta of your choice
- Top with shredded Pecorino Romano
Of course, I always have to adjust recipes to my liking! I went into my cupboard for an onion and the only one there was soft and icky. So, I had to use dried onion flakes. Boo, but yum! Turned out well.
The veggies shrink to more than half volume. Keep that in mind when planning your serving sizes! Also, be prepared for some serious, amazing aroma!!
Next time, I’d like to add some sauteed mushrooms to the mix! Also made a trip to the grocery store for some fresh pasta, but being a PD day, there were WAY TOO MANY people! The line ups were crazy! So, regular pasta it was. All delicious though. And yes, DO use the fresh parm. I added some cooked chicken to this. I’m even thinking that some fresh cream and bacon might add a delicious flavour experience!